I typically prefer, and look forward to, my Chocolate Shakeology for breakfast each morning; however, I came across this slow cooker oatmeal recipe from Skinnyms and it is delicious! It takes less than 5 minutes to put together before heading to bed, and it's ready when you wake up, not to mention the wonderful smell! Try it out and let me know your thoughts!
**Note: This recipes is for 1 serving, so, if you want you entire family to enjoy, add to each ingredient accordingly.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned (be sure you are not using quick cooking oats)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 cups water
- Enough water to fill Slow Cooker about 1/4 of the way full
- 1/2 small apple, chopped
- sweetener of choice, to taste (optional)
- In a small heat-proof bowl, stir oats, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. You have the option of either adding the apples at this point, or waiting until the morning after it is done cooking.
- Pour two cups water over the oats.
- Fill Slow Cooker about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way full with water. Add the heat-proof bowl with the oat mixture to the Slow Cooker. The bowl with the oats/cinnamon/vanilla has water in it, and also sits in the slow cooker surrounded by water. The water level should come to almost the top of the bowl.
- Turn the Slow Cooker on low for 7-8 hours overnight. Using a large spoon, remove the bowl from the Slow Cooker (Obviously, the bowl will be very hot!). If you did not add the apples before cooking, do so now.
- If you are doing so, add the sweetener of your choice.