Homemade Lara Bars - Peanut Butter Cookie

I absolutely LOVE granola bars; however, granola bars aren't exactly that great for you.  I was introduced to Lara Bars a few months ago, and, to no surprise, I loved them!  My all time favorite flavor is Peanut Butter Cookie. While you have to watch the calories, carbs, and sugar in any type of granola and/or protein bar, Lara Bars and Quest Bars seem to have the best looking nutrition label.  So as I was eating Lara Bars on a weekly basis, I couldn't help but notice how much money I was spending on them.  To me, they are a bit pricey, so I looked in to how to make them myself.  Sure enough, I found several different recipes and gave one a try this afternoon.  I have to say, I really couldn't even tell a difference between "real" Lara Bars and the ones I made!  In fact, the ones I made seemed a bit more moist!  I tested them out on my picky daughter and guess what....she liked them too!  I have to warn you; however, you really need to be cautious of your portions.  You control how big you want the bars to be, and if you love them as much as me, you may find yourself wanting more than one each day!


While you can find just about any Lara Bar flavor recipe if you Google it, this recipe is specific for Peanut Butter Cookie

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Blend the Dates in a food processor until they are a paste like texture, then remove and place in a bowl.
2. Add the Cashews and Peanuts to the food processor and pulse until they are chopped fairly small.
3. Combine the Dates and Nut Mixture and add the Peanut Butter and Cinnamon.
4. Use your fingers and knead all ingredients until well mixed.
5. Using your hands, mold the mixture into individual bars. (If you find that the mixture is crumbly, add a few tablespoons of warm water and process again).
6. Wrap each bar separately in plastic wrap, or in a Zip Lock baggie.
7. Refrigerate bars after making them to maintain freshness. Try letting them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before eating one.

~ Another option is to form the mixture into ball shapes and use as a "power ball."  They are delicious no matter what shape they are in!


* This recipes makes about 3 bars, so, if you are wanting to make more, change the recipe accordingly.


I hope you enjoy this snack as much as I do!
 


Labels: , , , , ,