Cooler Plan #2 - Eating for Best Long-Term Results and Year-Round Maintenance

I know I've said this before, but I love reading author Tosca Reno's Clean Eating books.  The first book I read was The Eat Clean Diet, Recharged.  It really gave me the basic knowledge that I was looking for in learning how to eat clean. As I post about my family's clean eating transition, I get a lot of questions about what exactly it means to "eat clean." When I explain about pairing complex carbs with lean proteins I get the obvious question of, what foods are considered to be complex carbs and lean proteins? So, I decided to plan it all out for you!  Tosca Reno calls her meal plans, cooler plans, and there are different types of cooler plans based on the results that you want. Within my health and fitness groups, I like to focus on Cooler Plan #2.  This will give you a great idea as to what I eat and when, which should answer a lot of questions!


Note:  This information came from The Eat Clean Diet, Recharged, by Tosca Reno.  

What it is and what it's for:
When following Cooler Plan #2, you are either looking for steady weight loss, or basic maintenance once you have reached your goal.  The reason why is because when your body begins approaching its set point (it's genetically predetermined healthy weight) you will find weight loss will slow down or even stop.  

So, the occasional treat like a glass of wine or piece of chocolate is permitted, but in limited amounts.  It is not recommended to eat unhealthy sugars and fats.

How it Works: 
Follow the Eat-Clean Principles
To Do:
Avoid:


Complex Carbohydrates from Fruit and Vegetables:
6 portions each day.  A portion is:
* 1 cupped handful of piece of fruit, such as berries, grapefruit, melon, apples and mangoes
* 2 cupped handfuls of vegetables including broth-based/vegetable puree soups. 

Complex Carbohydrates from Whole Grains and Starchy Carbohydrates:
2-4 portions each day.  A portion is:
* 1 scant handful of high-protein, sugar free cold cereals
* 1 handful of cooked cereal
* 1 piece of whole-grain bread (or seven inch wrap)
* 1 handful-sized serving of sweet potato, yam, banana, corn, carrots or squash

Lean Protein:
6 portions each day.  A portion is:
* 1 cup / 1 handful of dairy products (low-fat soy, almond, hemp, rice or skim milk, cottage cheese, yogurt cheese or plain, fat free, sugar free yogurt)
* 1 scant handful of raw, unsalted nuts (this is also a healthy fat)
* 2 Tablespoons of all-natural nut butters (this is also a healthy fat)
* 1 palm-sized portion of lean meats
* Good-quality, sugar and chemical free protein powder (hemp, soy, or whey)

Beverages:
* 2-3 liters per day of fresh water with no sodium
* Clear herbal tea (unsweetened)
* Black coffee (in moderation)
* Green / Black Tea

Sweeteners: Be sure to use these in moderation!  Avoid artificial sweeteners!
* Honey
* Maple sugar flakes
* Sucanat
* Rapadura Sugar

I have found that simply by pairing the correct foods together, along with eating more frequently and incorporating Shakeology, I have been able to lose, and continue to lose weight. If you would like help with meal planning and prep, as well as support, motivation, and accountability, head over to my site to create a free account so that I am YOUR coach!  You can also contact me to join in on my next health and fitness group! I would be glad to discuss your health and fitness goals and how I can help you reach them.  Have a great day! 




Labels: , , , , ,