What is Ezekiel Bread?

Good Afternoon!  So, an extremely common question that I get when I post a meal plan or picture of a breakfast / mid-morning snack, is "what is Ezekiel Bread?" I will admit, when I started my first challenge group, as a customer, my coach recommended that I switch to it rather than the traditional whole wheat bread I was using.  I swear it took me FOREVER to find it in the grocery store!  I knew it was in the freezer section and I would stroll up and down the freezer aisles looking each week, but, I never found it! I gave up, assuming that I needed to go to some fancy organic store to find it.  I then resorted to "Googling" it and sure enough, it was discovered! 

So, let's clear one thing up.  Where in the world can you find Ezekiel Bread?!  Ok so I've ruled Walmart out of the mix.  Maybe a Walmart SOMEWHERE in the U.S. has it, but none of them around me do!  Two local chain grocery stores that I have around me are Giant Eagle and Martins.  In both of these places, you can find Ezekiel bread in the freezer section of the organic aisles.  While vacationing over the summer, I was able to find it in the same place at GIANT as well.  Of course, I'm sure Whole Foods, Costco, and other stores carry it, I just don't have those accessible around me.  
Ezekiel Bread Benefits
Ezekiel Bread 

Now that that is out of the way, you may be wondering, what in the world is it?! 

Ezekiel Bread is made from organic, sprouted whole grains. The sprouting process is what makes this type of bread healthier.  

Unlike traditional breads that contain refined wheat, pulverized whole wheat, and/or added sugar, Ezekiel bread has a unique combination of grains and legumes (and does not contain added sugar).  

Grains: Wheat, Barley, Millet, Spelt
Legumes: Lentils, Soybeans

Sprouting, as in soaking the grains in water and allowing them to germinate, makes for a healthy choice.  Sprouted wheat breads have a low glycemic index and does not cause post-meal blood-sugar levels or blood-fat counts to spike upwards, which is great for diabetics.  

In addition, the benefits are twofold:
1. Sprouting increases the amount of healthy nutrients.
2. Sprouting reduces the amount of harmful anti-nutrients. 


Ezekiel Bread Benefits
Sprouted Bread


How is Ezekiel bread a benefit to you?

You can find all sorts of variety when it comes to Ezekiel bread.  There are English muffins, bread, buns, cereals, tortillas, pasta, and more!  

Ezekiel Bread Benefits


Next time you are at the grocery store, I encourage you to give it a try!  







Labels: , , ,