|Turkey Sloppy Joes|
I am LOVING the new Fixate Cookbook! I have yet to try something that I haven't like! So, last night I made Turkey Sloppy Joes. We are not typically ground turkey eaters; however, I like to throw some in there every now and then. These were definitely worth the try! They were really good and we even have some leftovers for tomorrow! Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Ingredients: (Serves 4 at approx 1 1/4 cup each)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (I used some green and yellow too!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb raw ground learn turkey breast (93% lean)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups natural tomato sauce (there is a sauce recipe in the cookbook that is recommend to use)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp all natural tomato paste
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- Finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
|Turkey Sloppy Joes|
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently for approx 1 minute. Transfer onion / pepper / garlic mixture to separate bowl and set aside.
- Add turkey to the same skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to break up the turkey (about 8-10 minutes), or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion mixture, sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, pepper sauce, and maple syrup (or honey). Mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently boil, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes (or until sauce has thickened).
- Sprinkle each serving with parsley before serving, if desired.
I served this over an open-faced slice of whole-grain sprouted bread (Ezekiel bread). You could serve it in a whole gain tortilla, on lettuce leaves, or even over some whole wheat pasta or quinoa!
If you follow a color coded portion control plan (like the 21 Day Fix), then the above recipe (serving over a slice of bread) would be 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green and 1 tsp.
Labels: 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Recipes, CIZE Recipes, Clean Eating, Fixate Cookbook Recipes, Lisa Decker, Meal Planning, Successfully Fit, Turkey Slopp Joes