Overcoming Excuses


We all have them.  We can come up with them at the snap of our fingers.  What am I talking about?  EXCUSES not to exercise!  Look, I know life throws some curve balls at us but guess what?  That's never going to stop! We have to learn to deal with those obstacles and figure out how to work around them.    When it comes to exercising, putting it off or "doubling up tomorrow" is SO easy to say!  There are times when I am guilty of it too!  Often times it's just not on our priority list.  BUT, do you REALLY know how important it is to exercise?!!  Seriously, it may not feel like it at first, but a good workout can change around your whole day! 


Exercise Tips, Fitness Support, 21 Day Fix, Beachbody Coach, Exercise Excuses, Support, Accountability, Successfully Fit,  Lisa Decker

So, let's talk about those excuses and think about how you can overcome them.  I do want to say; however, that I understand when emergencies come up and that there are days where you physically  just can't swing it.  BUT, overall it's important for you to carve out some time each week (I personally recommend 5 - 6 days). Below are MY tips and suggestions that have worked for ME!  No, they may not work for everyone, but I hope you can find some tips that you are willing to try! 


EXCUSE #1: I don't have time!
Exercise Tips, Fitness Support, 21 Day Fix, Beachbody Coach, Exercise Excuses, Support, Accountability, Successfully Fit,  Lisa Decker TIP: This is probably one of the main excuses that I hear when chatting with my potential clients for my accountability groups.  We all have busy schedules and yes, sometimes things unexpectedly come up.  BUT, if you sit down over the weekend and plan out your week, you can figure out what times you DO have available! Use a little weekly calendar and plug in your work times, kids activities, errands, etc.  The great news is, you don't need an hour or more to get a good workout in!  In fact, you can get a great workout in as little as 22-30 minutes!  And on those extra busy days if you don't have time for that, you can do something as quick as 10 minutes of a HIIT workout or even an ab workout. ANYTHING is better than noting!   I personally work out at home right in my family room (and sometimes in the kitchen!).  The home workouts that I do are 30 minutes MAX. In fact, the program that I am doing now is only 22 minutes per day!  Believe me, the time issue was at the top of my list too, but once I figured out a schedule and grabbed some short, effective workouts, I MADE it work!  So, if you are interested in home fitness, what programs can you get that are short in length?  21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, PiYo, Focus T25, 22 Minute Hard Corps, Insanity Max 30...should I keep going?!!  There is seriously something for EVERYONE when it comes to Beachbody home fitness programs!  If you are a gym goer, that's fine too!  You have to find what works best for YOU!


Exercise Tips, Fitness Support, 21 Day Fix, Beachbody Coach, Exercise Excuses, Support, Accountability, Successfully Fit,  Lisa Decker EXCUSE #2:  I'm too tired. 
TIP:  I GET IT!!  I've got 2 young daughters and my days are filled! I am exhausted by the end of the night!  The good news is, there are a few solutions to this problem! First, you can get your workout in in the morning BEFORE your work day begins.  Second, you can focus on fueling your body with proper nutrition. Often times the foods that we eat throughout the day simply make us tired and want to crash after about 30 minutes eating it.  Ditch the granola bars, fast food, high sugar/high carb meals and go with something that is much more nutritious!  Pair a complex carb with a protein!  Third, get an accountability partner!!  I know when I feel too tired to work out I check in with my accountability groups that I run and see how positive and inspiring everyone is.  It drives me to WANT to be able to say "I DID IT!"


EXCUSE #3: I can't because my kids are home with me.
Exercise Tips, Fitness Support, 21 Day Fix, Beachbody Coach, Exercise Excuses, Support, Accountability, Successfully Fit,  Lisa Decker TIP: DING DING DING!! This was actually my #1 excuse that I personally used once my daughters were born.  I mean honestly, how could you possibly give up 30 minutes of your time with babies and/or toddlers at home?  They can't sit still that long. They may destroy the house. They are "needy."  Yep, I used all of those phrases!  How did I overcome it?  Without sugar coating it, I sucked it up and did it!  At first I would get up super early and get my workout in BEFORE they woke up.  But, I learned that early morning workouts just weren't for me.  So, I started exercising in front of my kids. Yes, they were young. Yes, there were times during my 30 second breaks that I would change a quick diaper.  Yes, they would crawl on me and sometimes get in the way.  It didn't take very long though for them to catch on that this was becoming a daily habit of mine.  Soon enough, they started jumping around WITH me rather than ON me :)  Now that they are currently 4 and 6 years old, they ask ME when I am going to be exercising.  Sometimes they sit and have a snack, watch some TV, exercise with me, etc. It just depends on the day. It helps when I have some fun kid music, like the Chipmunks, playing during my workout.  On a side note, shorter workouts are WONDERFUL for those of you with young children!!


Exercise Tips, Fitness Support, 21 Day Fix, Beachbody Coach, Exercise Excuses, Support, Accountability, Successfully Fit,  Lisa Decker EXCUSE #4: I can't afford a monthly membership fee.
TIP:  I get this one too! To be honest, I never belonged to a gym in my life!  I really didn't have any particular reason aside from I just didn't feel like driving to a gym. And once I had my daughters I didn't feel like dragging them there either, let alone paying for the child care. Let me be clear though, I have NO problem with people who go to a gym. Some people feel they need that group workout or to be surrounded by other to really push themselves. That's fine!! Like I said, you have to do what works best for YOU!  BUT, if you are like me and a gym just doesn't do it for you, then stick with a home fitness program!  I've been working out at home for almost 3 years!  I LOVE it!  PLUS, it saves me A LOT of time.  I stick with my 22-30 minute workouts and that's it!  I even stream them right on my laptop!  I'm not driving somewhere, finding child care, and spending a couple of hours of my time by the time it's all said and done because THAT is something that I really don't have time in my day for.  It's also nice in the Winter time to stay in my cozy house rather than going out in the cold. 

EXCUSE #5: I don't know what exercises to do or where to start! 
Exercise Tips, Fitness Support, 21 Day Fix, Beachbody Coach, Exercise Excuses, Support, Accountability, Successfully Fit,  Lisa Decker
TIP: No problem! I can help!  Finding support to help you start {and stay} healthy is a HUGE component of success, in my opinion.  I remember the days where I would exercise almost every night yet see ZERO results.  It wasn't until I joined an online accountability group with my personal Coach where I truly learned how to EAT healthy AND incorporate an exercise program to meet MY needs and goals.  That's what I do as a Coach!  I help others find a program to meet THEIR goals.  There are SO many options out there and having or needing guidance isn't anything to be ashamed of!  I love my accountability groups because the women in my groups keep ME motivated just as much as I keep THEM motivated!  The friendships formed are amazing and having a group of like minded positive people truly helps and holds each other accountable. 



Hopefully I have given you some ideas and tips that you can implement in your own life! If you are looking for some support and guidance, please feel free to reach out to me at lisamariedecker@yahoo.com and/or consider joining one of my online accountability groups!  I can not begin to tell you how much a group of supportive women can help when it comes to staying focused and on track!  





Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,